The new Closed Controlled Access Center in Kos Island is built in an area of approximately 90 acres, at the location of the former camp “Makrigiannis”, on both sides of the existing new Closed Controlled Access Center.
It has a capacity of 2.140 residents, which can be divided as follows:
- 960 persons consisting of general population
- 100 unaccompanied minors
- 480 persons belonging in vulnerable groups, single parent families, women
- 600 persons in the Pre-removal Detention Center
It contains all the modern technical and functional infrastructure that makes it a safe, controlled access facility, with upgraded living conditions for its residents and advanced working facilities for its staff.
The construction budget is about 33,64 million euros plus 17% VAT (summing to a total of 39,36 million euros) and is funded 100% by the European Union - Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund / Emergency Assistance.
The whole new closed controlled center is surrounded by a double NATO-type security fence, which in combination with the installation at the entrance of the necessary control systems, such as turnstiles, magnetic gates, x-rays, two-factor access control system (identity and fingerprint), ensures secure and controlled entry and exit from the access center to whoever is entitled to it.
In addition, the installation of Closed Surveillance System (CCTV), uses "smart" software in order to warn in time for any emergency events, while it has the ability to give notifications and images to the Local Event Center, at the Control Center in Athens and at the Control Centers of other institutions (eg Hellenic Police).
Tourniquets with card readers have been placed in the separate sections of the new closed controlled access center for the protection of the employees and the vulnerable groups, such as unaccompanied children and single parent families.
The accommodation spaces are developed in 8,900 sq.m. and are divided into separate, distinct zones, while consisting of 6 two-storey residential buildings sized 1,000 sq.m. with a capacity of 240 persons per building, 5 ground floor residential buildings sized 500 sq.m. with a capacity of 120 persons per building, and 1 ground floor residential building sized 400 sq.m. with a capacity of 100 persons. The positioning of the asylum seekers will be based on ethnic and social criteria (families, people with mobility disabilities, serious health problems, pregnant women).
The following spaces will operate in the new Closed Controlled Access Center:
- Accommodation spaces divided into separate zones (6 two-storey residential buildings sized 1.000 sq.m., and 1 ground floor of 400 sq.m., with a total capacity of 1.540 persons),
- Accommodation space of the Pre-removal Detention Center (5 ground floor accommodation buildings sized 500 sq.m. each, with a total capacity of 600 persons),
- Sanitary facilities (4 containers and 3 ground floor buildings with a total space of 760 sq.m.),
- Administration spaces (6 container and 4 ground floor buildings, with a total space of 955 sq.m.),
- Security areas (2 ground floor buildings, with a total space of 340 sq.m.),
- Maintenance and storage spaces (1 ground floor building, sized 170 sq.m.),
- Leisure and creativity areas (11 containers, with a total space of 550 sq.m.),
- Computer room (1 container 50 sq.m.)
- Restaurants (6 ground floor buildings, with a total space of 2.900 sq.m.)
- Store areas (12 containers with a total space of 300 sq.m.),
- Χώροι πλυντηρίων – κουζίνας (20 οικίσκοι συνολικής επιφάνειας 500 τ.μ.),
- Event areas (2 ground floor buildings, total area 250 sq.m.)
- 2 playgrounds,
- 4 sports courts,
- Parking lot,
- 5 ground floor buildings for people with mobility problems (disabled) with a total area of 125 sq.m.
The buildings are either metal constructions with aluminum carrier, or prefabricated containers with complete hotel and office equipment.
An asphalt road has been constructed for the smooth movement around and between the units of the Closed Controlled Access Center.
All the necessary electromechanical systems for safe and uninterrupted operation of the new Closed Controlled Access Center have been installed, such as:
- Fire safety system with permanent water supply system, sprinklers, fire safety system
- Emergency power generators to ensure the power supply of the Closed Controlled Access Center
- Pumping complex for the connection to the network of the municipality of Kos
- Drinking water treatment system
- Energy saving with Heat Recovery Hot Water System with VRV type heat pumps
- Air conditioning, heating-cooling with VRV type heat pumps & split type
- Wi-Fi Internet access indoors and outdoors
- Management and monitoring of operation of electromechanical equipment through BMS (Building Management System) automation system
- Use of LED luminaires for indoor and outdoor lighting
- Biological treatment of third-degree level wastewater
- Water saving by reusing the treated product of the biological treatment (gray water) in water tanks and irrigation
The creation of office infrastructure for approximately 270 employees has been foreseen for the operation of the new Closed Controlled Access Center of Kos.