The 6th Meeting of the MED5 Group will take place in Thessaloniki, on Saturday, October 7th.
During the session, Ministers responsible for migration affairs from Greece, Spain, Italy, Cyprus, and Malta will exchange views about the current developments on the migration front, both in the Mediterranean region and across Europe.
The primary objective of the Meeting is to foster stronger cooperation among the MED5 countries on the pressing issue of migration and further align their positions in view of the ongoing negotiations for the conclusion of the European Migration and Asylum Pact.
The Vice President of the European Commission, Mr. Margaritis Schinas, will open the Meeting and the Commissioner for Home Affairs of the European Commission, Ms. Ylva Johansson, will address the Meeting with a video message, while on the evening of October 6th, Mr. Kairidis will host an official dinner for his counterparts at the Museum of Byzantine Culture of Thessaloniki.
Following the conclusion of the Meeting, a joint statement is expected to be issued, followed by a joint Press conference scheduled for October 7th at 12:45 PM.
Both the Meeting and the Press conference will take place at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.
The ministers participating at the Meeting are:
- Minister of Migration and Asylum of Greece, Mr. Dimitris Kairidis, who will chair the Meeting,
- Mr. Fernando Grande-Marlaska Gomez, Minister of the Interior of Spain, who chairs the Council of EU Ministers this semester,
- Mr. Matteo Piantedosi, Minister of the Interior of Italy,
- Mr. Constantinos Ioannou, Minister of the Interior of Cyprus, and
- Mr. Byron Camillieri, Minister of the Interior of Malta.