Unaccompanied minors

In case you are an unaccompanied minor, i.e. if you are under eighteen (18) years old and you are not accompanied by an adult person who has responsibility for your care according to the Greek Law, the authorities and the Reception and Identification Service must immediately inform the competent Public Prosecutor for Minors so that a guardian or representative is appointed for you, or, in case you are accompanied by an adult relative of yours who does not have parental responsibility over you, assign your care to your adult relative.

The Special Secretariat for the Protection of Unaccompanied Minors of the Ministry for Migration and Asylum, in cooperation with the competent Public Prosecutor, will appoint a guardian or representative who is going to assist you in order to submit an international protection application and will care for your accommodation and welfare. This person will have the required knowledge and experience so as to practice his/her duties in a way that ensures your best interest. Your guardian or representative will ensure that you are provided with legal assistance during the procedure of your international protection application.

In case you are under fifteen (15) years old, your international protection application must be submitted by the guardian or representative appointed to you. In case you are above fifteen (15) years old, you may submit your application yourself.

The Asylum Service is going to set a date for your interview appointment and you are going to receive your international protection applicant’s card which allows you to stay in Greece.

You will be informed regarding your interview by your guardian or representative. Your guardian or representative will be invited and may accompany you at your interview. The Authorities may perform medical examinations in order to determine your age. You and your guardian must be informed regarding this procedure, and you or your guardian must agree to it.

The Special Secretariat for Unaccompanied Minors of the Ministry for Migration and Asylum will ensure that you stay with your adult relatives or with a family that is going to be responsible for your custody, or in a special accommodation center for minors or in another type of accommodation suitable for minors. In case you have siblings, you will stay with your siblings, taking into account your best interest. If you have completed eighteen (18) years of age, you may stay in a supervised apartment.

The Special Secretariat for the Protection of Unaccompanied Minors will try to locate your family members in cooperation with your guardian or representative.

If any members of your family are staying legally in a state of Europe which implements the “Dublin III” Regulation,then, in accordance with the relevant legal requirements, you will be transferred to that country so that your application is examined there.

I am under 18 and seeking asylum in Greece

The Asylum Procedure for Unaccompanied Minors

Scroll to Top

Viber Community

 Viber Community for Issues of Migration and Asylum

The Ministry of Migration and asylum has created a Viber Community in order to provide accurate and timely information regarding issues of migration and asylum. Please click on the following link, or scan the QR code in order to connect: