Aiming to ensure the decent living conditions of the resident population and the proper implementation of the necessary reception and identification procedures, the new closed controlled access center of Samos was created with adequate infrastructure, which will contribute to the full coverage of the needs of the residents.
In a nutshell, the innovative organized operation of the new closed controlled access center, that will guarantee the safe accommodation of the beneficiaries as well as the employees are:
The organization of the facility in neighborhoods / distinct areas.
Distinct accommodation / neighborhoods for vulnerable groups such as unaccompanied minors / single parent families, but also general population accommodation, new arrivals and quarantine area.
In each neighborhood there are:
- Restaurant areas with additional use of common areas and places for distribution of non-food items
- Sports facilities
- Recreation areas – playgrounds
- Shared washing machines
- Shared kitchens
- Multiple areas of administration and housing of services such as doctor's offices, creative activity areas and office of psychosocial and legal services
- Green areas cover 25% of the total areas of the new closed controlled access center, while all interiors are air conditioned (both accommodation and administration areas)
- A system of recycling the irrigated water which is occurring from a third-degree water treatment of the wastewater, either in order to be used for toilets, or for the irrigation of the new closed controlled access center and the surrounding reforested areas
- Sufficient Fire extinguishing system
The new closed controlled center in Samos is guarded by the Hellenic Police and by a private security company 24 hours a day with the presence of 50 uniformed personnel in each shift.
The new closed controlled center for hosting third country nationals in Samos, is being developed in an area of 154 acres, in the "Zervou" location of the Municipality of Eastern Samos. It has a capacity of 3000 guests, which is analyzed as follows:
- 1.560 people general population
- 240 unaccompanied minors
- 240 vulnerable groups, single parent families, women
- 960 in Pre-removal detention Centers
The new closed controlled center includes all the modern technical and functional infrastructure that makes it a safe, controlled access facility, with upgraded living conditions for the accommodated population but also for the staff operating on site.
The construction work of the new closed controlled access center was assigned to the construction company MYTILINEOS SA, in October 2020, after an international open tender, in which all the major construction companies of the country participated.
The construction budget is about 43 million euros and is 100% funded by the Asylum, Migration & Integration Fund of the European Union..
Security - control
The whole new closed controlled center is surrounded by a double NATO-type security fence, which in combination with the installation at the entrance of the necessary control systems, such as turnstiles, magnetic gates, x-rays, two-factor access control system (identity and fingerprint), ensures secure and controlled entry and exit from the access center to whoever is entitled to it.
In addition, the installation of Closed Surveillance System (CCTV), uses "smart" software in order to warn in time for any emergency events, while it has the ability to give notifications and images to the Local Event Center, at the Control Center in Athens and at the Control Centers of other institutions (eg Hellenic Police). Tourniquets with card readers have been placed in the separate sections of the new closed controlled access center for the protection of the employees and the vulnerable groups, such as unaccompanied children and single parent families.
The accommodation areas are developed in 14,250 sq.m. and are divided into distinct zones, while consisting of 240 containers of 25 sq.m. each with a capacity of 4 people per house, 7 ground floor residential buildings of 500 sq.m. with a capacity of 120 people per building and 2 of 400 sq.m. each with a capacity of 120 people per building. The placement of asylum seekers will be based on ethnic and social criteria (families, people with mobility disabilities, serious health problems, pregnant women).
The new structure in Samos also includes:
- Accommodation Pre-removal detention Center (8 ground floor residential buildings of 500 sq.m. each, with a total capacity of 960 people)
- Quarantine area covid-19 (37 containers of 25 sq.m. each)
- Medical facilities (4 containers and 3 ground floor buildings with a total area of 760 sq.m.)
- Administration spaces (39 containers and 18 ground floor buildings, with a total area of 3,600 sq.m.)
- Creative employment spaces (17 containers, total area 850 sq.m.)
- Computer room (1 container 50 sq.m.)
- Restaurants (8 ground floor buildings, total area 2,600 sq.m.)
- Food Distribution Areas (4 containers of 25 sq.m. each)
- NFIs distribution areas (6 containers of 25 sq.m. each)
- Store Areas (16 containers of 25 sq.m. each), which will be licensed either by the relevant Municipality or by the Ministry for Migration and Asylum
- Laundry and Kitchen areas (19 containers of 25 sq.m. each)
- Areas of cultural activities
- Event areas (2 ground floor buildings, total area 250 sq.m.)
- 3 playgrounds
- 7 sports courts
- Parking spaces
All buildings are either metal constructions or prefabricated containers with complete hotel and office equipment.
An asphalt road has been constructed for the communication around the new closed controlled access center between the units.
The new closed controlled access center also provides all the necessary electromechanical installations for its safe and uninterrupted operation, such as:
- Fire safety system with permanent water supply system, sprinklers, fire safety system
- Power generating pairs to ensure the power supply of the new closed controlled access center
- Drinking water treatment system
- Energy saving with Hot Water (DHW) production system with VRV type heat pumps
- Air conditioning, heating-cooling with VRV type heat pumps & split type
- Internet access via Wi-Fi indoors and outdoors
- Management and monitoring of operation of electromechanical equipment through BMS (Building Management System) automated system
- Use of LED luminaires in indoor and outdoor lighting
- Biological facility of third degree level wastewater
- Water saving by re-using the treated product of the biological treatment (grey water) in flashers and irrigation
Within the new Closed Controlled Access Center of Samos, office infrastructure has been implemented for about 400 employees, which will cover the needs of the Ministry for Migration and Asylum, the Hellenic Police and the other involved actors.